Accident victim

Frequently Asked Questions

In Your Town, on Your Team

What to do after an accident Get a free consultation View our accident checklist


Answers from Our Bardstown Personal Injury Lawyers

At McCoy & Sparks, our main focus is on personal injury disputes. We work hard to keep our clients involved and informed throughout the legal process. When you’ve been injured it is important to know your legal options, which is why we’ve answered a few common questions about personal injury settlements below.

If you don’t see your question, call our Nelson County offices at (502) 378-3877 or fill out a free online evaluation to get the individual attention you need.

What kind of personal injury cases does McCoy & Sparks handle?

We handle personal injury disputes for all types of accidents, including car, truck, tractor trailer, and motorcycle accidents; wrongful death; slip and fall accidents; and insurance disputes.

What is a contingency fee?

We work on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don’t win or settle your case, you don’t owe us any attorney fees.

Can personal injury claims pay for medical bills?

Yes, they can. Damages for personal injury claims include but are not limited to:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Rental car expenses
  • Impairment to earn future income
  • Loss of consortium

Can I ask my attorney for a copy of the settlement check?

Yes, and you absolutely should. You should review your settlement check and the settlement breakdown sheet before the check is deposited. Normally, you are also required to endorse the check before it’s placed in your attorney’s trust account.

Can parents get access to the money from their child's settlement?

Parents usually don’t have access to children’s settlement money. This is to help ensure the money is used to benefit the child and not someone else. Typically a court will place the child’s settlement money in a blocked bank account until the child turns 18. Sometimes withdrawals are allowed if funds are needed for the child’s wellbeing and care. Each settlement may have different restrictions, so consult your attorney.

How do I collect my personal injury settlement?

If the money is coming from an insurance company, the process is simple. Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company and, when the settlement is reached, the insurance company will send a check for the agreed damages. However, if the person who has injured you is not insured, collecting is more difficult. Consult your attorney to learn more.

Is there a minimum personal injury settlement amount?

There is no minimum or maximum settlement amount, but there are a lot of factors that contribute to how much you’re entitled to, such as:

  • The nature and extent of the injury
  • The amount of economic damages
  • The length of time the injury is expected to last
  • The conduct of the defendant