McCoy & Sparks, A Kentucky Truck Accident Attorney.
We’ll Get You a Fair Deal After Your Kentucky Semi-Truck Accident.
Semi-trucks are huge vehicles, usually weighing more than 10,000 pounds. A negligent truck driver can easily cause a violent collision that usually does not end well for smaller cars, SUVs, or motorcycles. Semi-trucks cause more than 87,000 injuries in the U.S. every year.
Although truckers cause catastrophic damage, they usually survive these crashes injury-free. Their big rigs protect them and they often walk away from the accident unscathed. In semi-truck crashes, more than half of all injuries and 69% of fatalities are occupants of the other vehicles that are involved.
It’s also worth noting that truck drivers’ negligence is a huge part of the problem. According to data from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the leading causes of semi-truck accidents are prescription drugs (26%), speeding (23%), over-the-counter drugs (17%), fatigue (13%), alcohol (8%), and illegal drugs (3%).
At McCoy & Sparks, we have more than 65 years of combined experience representing people who have been injured in Kentucky trucking accidents. We’ve seen the devastation of these commercial truck accidents firsthand and will fight to ensure you receive the compensation and benefits you deserve under the law.
McCoy & Sparks: In Your Town and On Your Team.
- We are a Kentucky truck accident attorney and are located right here in Bardstown and represent accident victims across Kentucky.
- We have the experience to handle your semi-truck accident injury claim because we’ve been doing it for decades.
- We get results for our clients, including multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements.
- We truly care about our clients, which you can see from our many satisfied testimonials on Facebook, Google Reviews, and other review sites.
“Attorneys Keith A. Sparks and Mike Niemietz were both very supportive and attentive to our legal concerns and needs. Having very limited knowledge of the legal system, we found these two men to be exactly what we needed. We can’t thank them enough for helping us through the red tape and the legal arena. We were blessed and they were able to get a desired outcome as the end result. Both were available for consultation when needed and are devoted to the client. Should we need legal support in the future, we will definitely seek these two for advice.”
-McCoy & Sparks Clients
Most Severe Semi-Truck Accidents Happen on Rural Roads
People tend to think of semi-truck accidents as accidents that happen on highways, but that’s a misconception. Kentucky’s most severe semi-truck collisions happen on rural roads, including 60% of fatalities that involve large trucks. Just 25% of semi-truck involved fatalities happen on interstates.
In fact, the overall most common type of car crash in the state takes place on rural two-lane highways with no median, so be extra careful on these roads. There are a variety of dangers you don’t typically find on big-city roads like deer, road debris, poor lighting, hills, and curves.
And beware that the most common time for semi-truck crashes is during the daytime hours on weekdays when tractor trailers are active on the road. About 18% of all semi-truck crashes happen between noon and 3 p.m. on a weekday, which is a narrow window of time for such a large proportion of crashes.
Common Semi-Truck Accidents We See in Kentucky
Head-on semi-truck collisions are severe and often fatal accidents from two vehicles impacting at the front end. While only about 2% of all crashes are head-on collisions they account for 10% of all road fatalities and 13% of rural road fatalities.
A truck rear-end collision happens when a semi-truck crashes into another vehicle or vice versa. It can occur at a high speed on the highway, at a low speed on a suburban road, in stopped traffic near a construction zone, in a parking lot, and plenty of other places. Driver distraction is a leading cause of these crashes.
Semi-truck side-impact collisions and t-bone collisions involve an impact to the side of one vehicle. They commonly occur at intersections and in areas with complex and confusing traffic patterns.
A sideswipe happens at a shallow angle and typically involves a semi-truck colliding with a passenger car while passing on the highway. Sideswipes cause rollovers and accidents where a vehicle leaves the roadway and impacts something nearby at a high rate of speed.
Top Causes of Kentucky Semi-Truck Auto Accidents
The causes of road accidents have been heavily studied for more than half a century. Some of the most common causes include:
- Human driving errors
- Drunk/drugged driving
- Driving while drowsy
- Distracted driving/multitasking
- Inexperience with driving, especially when it comes to big rigs
- Speeding excessively
- Weather-related driving issues related to icy, foggy, and wet weather
- Recklessness on the road
- Road rage and road racing
- Debris in the road
- Drivers’ health, mobility, and vision problems
- Improperly maintained semi-truck tires, brakes, and equipment
The #1 cause of car accidents is human error. This includes distracted driving, which is on the rise. The National Safety Council attributes 28% of all car accidents to distracted driving, up from 25% just a few years ago.
Here in Kentucky, drunk driving accounts for about 14% of all road accidents. Alcohol and drugs can slow a driver’s reaction time and cause them to make bad driving decisions.
Working With an Attorney After a Semi-Truck Accident
A truck accident attorney can help you accomplish numerous tasks that arise after a semi-truck accident, including:
- Dealing with the truck driver and their trucking company
- Working with the insurance companies
- Talking to the police and other authorities
- Reconstructing your accident
- Identifying witnesses
- Gathering your medical bills to see how much you owe
- Locating experts who can add valuable information
- Organizing your legal paperwork
- Preparing for meetings and important dates
- Settling your case or, if necessary, taking it to court
McCoy & Sparks can help you recover the money you need to find peace of mind and stay financially stable. In most truck accident cases, we can help you get compensation for:
- Medical costs from the crash
- Future medical bills related to your injuries
- Lost wages
- The cost of future earnings you will miss
- Services you may need, like therapy or in-home help
- Pain and suffering
What Should I Do After a Semi-Truck Accident in Kentucky?
- Report and Document the Semi-Truck Accident: Under Kentucky law, you must report any accident to the police within 10 days if the accident involved property damage over $500 or anyone was injured or killed. Take this opportunity to request a police report and try to get photos of the scene as quickly as possible.
- Seek Medical Care for Your Injuries: Accept on-scene care and go to the hospital if necessary. Don’t miss follow-up appointments and follow the doctor’s instructions. Your health is the priority, so care for your injury and start the road to recovery.
- Consider Your Legal Options: No matter who is at fault, in Kentucky you have the legal right to talk to a Kentucky truck accident attorney and discuss your legal options like filing an insurance claim, using personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, or starting a lawsuit. If you act quickly, you may be able to recover compensation for your car damage, medical bills, lost wages, and more.
- Refrain From Sharing Details: Refer all questions to your attorney. Also, avoid sharing details on the internet including on social media. Any statements you make could harm your case later.
What Will I Get if I Win My Auto Accident Case?
We can’t guarantee a particular outcome, but as a Kentucky truck accident attorney, McCoy & Sparks, have secured millions in compensation for our clients depending on the situation and the severity of the person’s injuries. You can seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and perhaps other costs too.
A claim against a semi-truck driver also gives you the satisfaction of holding the right person responsible for your injuries and preventing someone else from being hurt in the future. Maybe your claim will keep a dangerous commercial vehicle driver off the road or force their company to invest in training. That’s good for everyone on the road.
If you need counseling or physical therapy to restore your mind and body, you may be able to secure coverage for these expenses too. You deserve to fully recover from your injuries and the trauma of a semi-truck crash.
How to Request a Free Consultation With McCoy & Sparks
After a semi-truck collision where you were injured, please contact McCoy & Sparks for a free and confidential consultation. We’ll ask questions about your situation and help you understand what to do next.
Trust us with your case. We’ll work tirelessly to get you the result you deserve.
We’re recognized as one of the area’s best law firms for over a decade and counting because McCoy & Sparks works to help people in trouble, representing thousands of clients in Central Kentucky with a focus on providing premium service and delivering superior results. Regardless of your situation, our goal is to develop a strategy that best serves your personal needs, drawing upon our skills to help you reach the best possible result.
Here’s how it works: We start by getting to know you and understanding the circumstances involved in your situation. Next, we will explain all your options, giving you the pros and cons of each choice so that you will be empowered to make informed decisions. Finally, we will help you negotiate a settlement or provide a strong case for you in court. You owe us nothing unless we recover compensation for you.
NO FEE UNLESS YOU WIN